November 2017 Spotlight
River Forest Township turns 100 in 2017! Your Township funds and supports a full array of vital human services to youth, seniors, those with mental health needs, and those in financial need…in addition to our active Assessor’s office.
Fun fact #1: Your Township Assessor is specially trained to assist you with property tax questions, appeals, and exemptions.
Fun fact #2: The I-Search safety program, attended by all River Forest elementary and middle school students, is funded by River Forest Township.
Visit www.RiverForestTownship.org to view more Township programs and services and to see upcoming events, or call 708.366.2029.
Satruday Sibshops Continue
Sibshops is a program specially designed for siblings of kids with disabilities and mental/physical health challenges. Siblings engage in fun activities and share conversation with each other and trained Sibshop facilitators.
Remaining fall Sibshops will be held on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays as follows, 12/2 and 12/16. 11:30 am-1:30 pm, at Thrive Counseling Center, 120 S. Marion St. in Oak Park. Lunch is provided.
Pre-registration is required. $10 per session. Need-based scholarships are available. For more info, please email Carla Sloan, RF Township Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708.366-2029.
New Support Groups for Those Losing a Loved One to Suicide
Two new monthly drop-in support groups are starting up in River Forest for those suffering the loss of a loved one to suicide. Groups are hosted by LOSS (Loving Outreach to Survivors of Suicide) and are led by a licensed clinical social worker.
- Teen Support Group: For teenagers 13-18, third Thursday of each month, 6-7:30 pm. Next meeting December 21.
- Adult Support Group: For adults 18 and over, third Mondays of each month, 7-9 pm. Next meetings November 20 and December 18.
Held at River Forest Township (located at the RF Community Center), 8020 Madison Street. Please call 312.655.7283 for more information and to register, or visit www.catholiccharities.net/loss.
All are welcome to try the groups. LOSS is a completely non-denominational program of Catholic Charities.
Encore Senior Chorus Hosts Holiday Concerts
The local Encore Senior Chorus invites people of all ages to attend its two free holiday performances, Sounds of Joy:
- Saturday, 12/9, 4:00 pm, at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 611 Randolph St., Oak Park
- Thursday, 12/14, 2:00 pm, Fourth Presbyterian Church, Chestnut St. and Michigan Ave., Chicago (all area Encore choirs)
Community Health Needs Assessment is Completed
River Forest Township, in partnership with the Oak Park Community Mental Health Board and the Oak Park Health Department, has just completed a comprehensive Community Health Needs Assessment. This plan provides direction for our two communities in the areas of physical health, behavioral health, developmental disabilities and substance use. Numerous agencies and organizations from the community participated in the plan’s development process. Visit http://riverforesttownship.org/mhservices.asp to view the document.
Safe Disposal of Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medications
Safely dispose of unused or expired medications in the secure box in the basement of RF Village Hall, 400 Park Avenue. Pills/tablets only. No liquids/creams/hazardous items; no loose items. Pills can be disposed of in bulk in re-closeable plastic bags.
This safe action removes potentially dangerous medications from the home and helps the environment. The program is sponsored by the Cook County Sheriff’s Department and is hosted by the RF Fire Department. A second secure collection box is located in the lobby of the Oak Park Police Department at OP Village Hall, 123 Madison Street.
New Information Assistance Program for Seniors and their Caregivers
Trained staff from Oak Park and River Forest Township Senior Services are available to talk with seniors and their caregivers about various local, state and federally funded senior-related programs, on Thursdays at two locations:
- Thursday, December 7 and 21, 10 am – 12:30 pm, River Forest Medical Campus, 7411 Lake Street, River Forest, Building A, Community Room, Office-1104.
- Thursday, December 14, 10 am – 12:30 pm, West Suburban Medical Center, 3 Erie Court, Oak Park, first floor, room 1062.
Please call to register for an appointment: 844.794.4301.
“Celebrating Seniors™ All Year Long” Programs: November Line-up
Seniors: Join us for these informative and engaging free programs, held at the RF Public Library!
- Saturday, 12/2, 2 pm – Holiday Gadget Gifts…gift ideas from tech training expert Mike Gershbein
- Sunday, 12/10, 2 pm – Historian and Actress Leslie Goddard brings back Christmas at Marshall Field’s
Co-sponsored by RF Township and RF Library. People of all ages from all communities are welcome!
Seniors: Start the Week with Coffee Mondays
Coffee Mondays continue at the RF Library on the first Mondays at 10 am, Coffee provided by Blue Max; co-sponsored by the Township and Library. Note: January Coffee Monday meets on January 8.
- December 4- Librarian Dorothy Houlihan shares about the library’s new Talking Book and Braille Service
“Connect with Tech” this Fall!
Are you a senior who wants to get more out of your smartphone, eReader, tablet or personal computer? Would you like to explore better ways to connect electronically with family and friends? Come to “Connect with Tech”, which helps beginner tech users in a small, intimate group setting. Bring your questions and devices, or use one of the laptops provided. No need to sign up, just drop in anytime during the session to learn.
The newly revamped “Connect with Tech” program, formerly known as Computer Learning Lab, is offered in partnership with the River Forest Library.
“Connect with Tech” is held on Wednesdays, November 29, December 6 and 13, at the River Forest Library, 10-11:30 AM. Call 708.366.5205 for more information.
Whether you are caring for a family member or are a paid caregiver…whether you are caring for a senior, grandchild, or person with special needs…support is available.
- Concordia University: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 4 pm, Koehneke Community Center/Concordia Campus. Sponsored by Concordia’s Center for Gerontology (in partnership with River Forest Township). Contact Dr. Lydia Manning, email@example.com, 708.209.3218.
- Township Senior Services: 2nd and 4th Fridays, 10 am, OP & RF Township Senior Services, 130 S. Oak Park Avenue. Contact Steve Smith, 708.383.8060. No meeting on November 24.